Gender Matters [PTP.2018.16E]
Disclaimer: To register for the 2019 version of this course, please click on the new link here: https://www.unitar.org/event/full-catalog/gender-matters-ptp201916e
The course offers various lenses through which you can look at the complex concept of gender and the inequalities that exist in your environment.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Define gender as socially embedded;
- Describe key gender-related terms;
- Distinguish between different conceptualizations of gender;
- Identify sources of gender inequality in their environment.
The course is composed of eight sections:
• Section 1: Defining gender
• Section 2: Gender vs. sex
• Section 3: Gender as a social construct
• Section 4: Gender as order
• Section 5: Gender as power hierarchy
• Section 6: Gender as shared identity
• Section 7: Gender stereotypes
• Section 8: Masculinities
• Section 9: The UN approach to gender
The average work time is estimated at 2 hours.
The course is a self-guided, self-paced, web-based course that is on-going and can be accessed at any time. The material is presented in an interactive visual and text format with web-based reference resources. Multiple choice quizzes at the end of each lesson serve a dual function of assessing and evaluating the students’ understanding and retention and provide a further didactic function by reviewing the content.
At the successful completion of the course participants will be awarded with a badge.
Primary audience: The course is designed for anyone who has an interest in the concept of gender and gender equality.
Secondary audience: The course is geared towards anyone who wishes to garner a baggage of basic knowledge to then pursue more advanced courses in conflictology, notably UNITAR’s master degree in Conflictology.
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8 or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (click here to download for free)
- Adobe Flash Player: (10.3 or later, and one of the following browsers - Windows: Internet Explorer 8 and later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version) Mac: Safari 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version))
- HTML5: Windows: Google Chrome (latest version), Mac: Safari 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version), Mobile:Safari in Apple iOS 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version) in Android OS 4.1 and later
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K