CDT is practice-oriented training provided to diplomats and other beneficiaries at major United Nations locations so that they can perform effectively in a multilateral context.
The Core Diplomatic Training is a set of practice-oriented workshops provided to diplomats and other beneficiaries at major United Nations locations so that they can perform more effectively in a multilateral environment. Participants who attend 8 Core Diplomatic Training workshops and complete a research paper will be awarded with the Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice. In exceptional cases, participants may also have the opportunity of attending or 6 workshops (or e-workshops) and 2 online self-paced courses.
Face-to-face learning delivered through highly interactive executive style trainings. The average duration of a Core Diplomatic Training course is two days for face-to-face workshops and four days for e-workshops. Courses are held in English.
UNITAR has been delivering Core Diplomatic Training courses since its inception in 1965 and the courses are traditionally considered the “core” training of the Institute. The nature of the training is “on the UN for the UN by the UN”. All Member States and the United Nations, collectively, benefit from greater knowledge on how to operate in the multilateral setting and perform effectively and efficiently.
WHY ARE UNITAR’S CDT COURSES UNIQUE?
- Few other courses have the same level of involvement of experienced United Nations staff, high-level diplomats and facilitators with insight into the United Nations system.
- The methodology of UNITAR courses is influenced by the multilateral setting, involving peer-to-peer learning and exchange within a global body of diplomats.
- UNITAR courses are highly accessible: they are held at United Nations locations and fitted, to the extent possible, into the calendar of official United Nations meetings.
WHERE IS CDT BEING IMPLEMENTED?
United Nations Headquarters in Geneva, New York and Vienna as well as at UN Offices in the host cities of UN regional economic commissions (Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Beirut, Nairobi, Roma, Santiago de Chile). Due to the current global pandemic, the workshops are delivered on an online basis.
WHAT IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE?
Drawing on UNITAR’s experience of training leaders for over 50 years, the Core Diplomatic Training provides participants with a practical understanding of diplomatic know-how. It equips candidates with the skills and knowledge they need to perform outstandingly and deliver the best results possible.
Eligible participants may be junior to senior level diplomats and other government officials, representatives or experts working in the UN System. University students, academics, staff of international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and professionals from private sector companies are also welcome to apply.
UNITAR’S EXECUTIVE DIPLOMA IN DIPLOMATIC PRACTICE (GENEVA, SWITZERLAND)
- Each year, from November to August, UNITAR will deliver the Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice. The Executive Diploma is awarded with the completion of a minimum of 6 out of the 8 Core Diplomatic Training activities and the submission of a final research paper. In exceptional cases, the programme can also be completed by attending 6 face-to-face workshops and 2 online courses.
- The workshops are aimed at enhancing participants’ understanding of the United Nations System, its organs and procedures, as well as strengthening skills to facilitate efficient participation in conferences and negotiations and support a more effective multilateral system.
- Candidates participating in the Executive Diploma will have the possibility to attend all 8 trainings during this period.
- Being awarded an Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice will not only improve career opportunities of successful candidates, but also expand the reach of their global network. The professionals who join the Diploma are incredibly diverse, both in terms of competences and expertise.
- To apply, please send an email to diplomacy [at] unitar.org ().
Core Diplomatic Training in Vienna
ARE THERE ANY FELLOWSHIPS FOR CDT COURSES?
Each workshop has a price of 1000 USD per participant. Fees for the whole Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice have the following prices (according to the United Nations M49 Standard Classification System):
- Developed Regions: 8000 USD
- Developing Regions: 5000 USD
- Least Developed Regions: 3000 USD
Some Core Diplomatic Training workshops can be attended free of charge by a limited number of Geneva-based diplomats, provided enough funding is available.
LIST OF WORKSHOPS
Workshop on Leadership Skills
- Hybrid Format: 19-20 May 2022
Workshop on Public Speaking
- Hybrid Format: 16-17 June 2022
FEEDBACK FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS AND EXPERT OF THE EXECUTIVE DIPLOMA
The Executive Diploma is an incredible melting pot of notable speakers, experienced diplomats and other enthusiasts looking to learn and contribute to enlightening discussions on global diplomatic leadership.
Mary Dinah, Chief Executive Officer, M.A.D. Hospitality
The workshops have given me practical knowledge about Multilateral Dipomacy and Negotiations, as well as enhanced my confidence in my field of work!
Williemena P. Appleton, Diplomat, Liberian Embassy in Berlin
I have had the pleasure to lead the Leadership workshop for the Executive Diploma in Diplomatic Practice for the past two years. The groups have been incredibly diverse, both in background and experience levels, but they have always been very active and engaging in debate. I wholeheartedly recommend the Executive Diploma for anyone who would like to learn more about the fascinating and complex world of diplomacy and international affairs amongst peers.
Jerome, Trainer in Leadership
Email: diplomacy [at] unitar.org">diplomacy [at] unitar.org / Telephone: +41 22 917 88 10