Workshop on Leadership Skills and Assertiveness
Leadership is fundamental to effective and efficient diplomacy. The success of international leaders relies upon their capacity to take initiative, lead others in and through challenging circumstances, and thus maximize opportunities and strengthen the positions, objectives and achievements of parties and groups.
This workshop aims to promote full and effective participation and leadership at all levels of decision-making. This is an opportunity for participants to build essential personal leadership skills and qualities to thrive in leadership positions. Societal and economic factors might be obstacles to having ease of access to obtain these necessary skills.
This workshop aims to teach participants how read people diversity better, in order to better structure their approach to their own leadership style. Participants will learn how to use the power of broadening their perspectives and behaviors, while managing their own motivational mechanisms. The objective of this specific training is to help leaders strengthen their impact, trust and natural authority and create optimal results in unpredictable and diverse settings.
To make this training as engaging as possible, the workshop will be highly interactive, full of discussions, reflections and sharing of experiences, tailored to flexibly meet the participants' needs and interests. This actively enhances the participants’ understanding of the topics.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Increase their self-awareness and leadership agility in order to expand their impact, and best utilize their leadership style and new skills in their relevant teams and international settings;
- Explain the importance and the “what and how’s” of cultural factors in successful leadership;
- Discuss a model that will help them prepare, navigate and lead better in culturally diverse and international settings;
- Acquire a new and deeper science-based understanding about the nature, power of, and diversity in motivation and how this can be impacted from a leadership point.
UNITAR workshops are designed to be highly interactive and participatory and will include a variety of pedagogical tools to enable the participants to acquire a thorough knowledge and understanding of the substantive issues at work, in addition to the transfer of skills and techniques to enable them to function effectively and efficiently in their professional roles.
This course is primarily open to:
- Members of Permanent Missions accredited to the United Nations Office in Geneva;
- Delegates of Ministries of Foreign Affairs and other government officials;
- Representatives of international, intergovernmental, and non-governmental organizations and Diplomatic academies;
- Professionals from the private sector.
By applying to the Workshop on Leadership Skills and Assertiveness, all participants confirm that they are aware that the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) does not insure participants for this course. All participants are advised to arrange at their own expense insurance against sickness, accident, permanent or temporary disability, death and third party risk for the period of the meeting including travel time.
Participants who have attended all the sessions will receive a certificate of participation.
To complete your registration, please write an email to diplomacy [at] unitar.org (diplomacy[at]unitar[dot]org) with your CV and a copy of your passport.
Note: Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis, and registration will be closed once we have reached the maximum number of participants.