Sustainable Development: Idea, Process and Goal (2019)
Currently, Sustainable Development emerges as a new kind of knowledge for better understanding of the social, natural and economic processes which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations in meeting their own needs. This concept has gained a great importance as a scientific vision in the last two decades. The current global financial crises have brought to the fore its practical implementation in particular. There is a greater need for its realization than before due to the disruptions of the long term sustainable development trends by which the world faces a growing sustainability crisis. Consequently, the global crises could be benefited from to create the conditions needed for the Sustainable Development. By giving an overview of the idea, goal and process of Sustainable Development, the participants will be equipped with the knowledge, competencies and attitudes required to understand beyond the idea, as well as the process of planning and evaluation of Sustainable Development.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the history and concepts of Sustainable Development.
- Classify the types of measurement of Sustainable Development.
- Employ the strategy approach and planning for Sustainable Development.
- Compare the requirements of Sustainable Development.
The course consists of the following modules:
- Module 1: Concepts and History of Sustainable Development
- Module 2: Measurement of Sustainable Development
- Module 3: Strategy and Planning for Sustainable Development
- Module 4: Main Activity Fields of Supporting Sustainable Development
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles and by the inclusion of non-linear learning that aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants maximum flexibility of scheduling , the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically to professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
This foundation course is primarily designed for professionals in the spheres of government, public and private finance sector development, investment, trade, corporate, treasury, and banking. Professionals from public, private, civil society and academic circles will all benefit from this compact and practical course.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.