Fundamentals of Risk Management (2019)
This course on the Fundamentals of Risk Management is designed to present the content and the tools of modern financial risk assessment and management. It aims at satisfying the needs for credit risk training especially in developing countries and emerging markets, some of which have experienced or have been affected by several financial crises during the last two decades. This fundamentals course will give a holistic overview of the principles of risk management, including definitions and misconceptions. It will also focus on risk identification, risk assessment and setting up practical and effective risk management systems.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Identify and interpret approaches and aims of financial risk management tools;
- Express, through practical examples, the mechanism of cost-at-risk (CAT) bonds for sovereigns;
- Interpret different ratios and indexes related to fixed income securities;
- Illustrate the application and utility of value-at-risk (VaR); and
- Evaluate methodologies developed by third parties on CAT bonds or VaR applications.
The course consists of the following modules:
- Module 1: Overview: developments in financial risk management in public and private sectors
- Module 2: Analysis of risk management techniques in public finance
- Module 3: Value-at-risk (VaR) and cost-at-risk (CaR)
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles and by the inclusion of non-linear learning that aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants maximum flexibility of scheduling , the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically to professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
The intended audience includes risk management professionals in the finance industry from developing and transition countries. This includes practicing risk managers, senior managers, and professionals from public and private finance-related institutions (e.g. members of local authorities, banks and financial institutions, and other government agencies) desiring an accessible, but thorough, introduction to the subject.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.