CIFAL Jeju - Developing Capacities on Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the Asia-Pacific Region
In September 2015, member States of the United Nations have adopted the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This inclusive and transformative agenda sets the strategic direction for building resilient cities and human settlements by responding to concerns about the impacts of climate change and disaster risk. Prior to the SDGs, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 was adopted as the first of the post-2015 development instruments and this new framework will have a profound impact on the lives of people for years to come.
This training will provide strategies and tools to localize the global frameworks for climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction into building safe, resilient and sustainable cities in Asia Pacific region. The training process includes lecture sessions with expert inputs combined with real-life case work and best practice. Session-based group work will enable participants to transform in-depth learning into practice and familiarize with coordinated action for decision making. By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to utilize and implement the international framework into their cities in the pursuit of greater disaster resilience and sustainable development for the region.
The capacity building training workshop, while promoting the importance of climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction, aims to:
- Stimulate support of UN Sustainable Development Goals and Sendai Framework for DRR to its localization and implementation phase
- Provide an international platform for knowledge exchange, supporting sharing and dissemination of best practices and lessons learned across cities
- Promote city-to-city cooperation by establishing a strong network that leads to the development of the region.
By the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the global framework for climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction
- Utilize the operational tools of Sendai Framework at local level to develop city action plan
- Identify indicators for monitoring and evaluation of the city action plan; and
- Share good practices and find ways to cooperate with other participating cities
The workshop covers the following topics:
- Module 1: Introducing the concepts and current tendencies
- Module 2: Applying Making Cities Resilient(MCR) campaign tools
- Module 3: Mainstreaming DRR and CCA into development
- Module 4: Developing safe and resilient city action plan
- Module 5: Setting indicators for monitoring and evaluation
The workshop will be delivered through:
- Lectures and presentations by experts
- Self-assessment exercise and group work
- Action plan presentation
- Study visit
This workshop is open to central and local government officials and other related personnel from NGOs and institutions in the field of disaster risk management and climate change adaptation.
For information about how to apply to the workshop, please contact:
Ms. LEE Jinmin, Program Officer
UNITAR CIFAL Jeju/JITC
Email: cifaljeju.jitc.1 [at] gmail.com