Introduction to data governance for monitoring the SDGs (MOOC)
The e-course aims to strengthen the knowledge and capacities of data producers and data users - from within and outside of Government – on selected issues related to official statistics, data governance, communities and partnerships and data value chain needed to ensure an effective monitoring for the SDGs. The e-course draws primarily on the outcomes of the consultations designed to inform the forthcoming edition of the Handbook of Statistical Organization.
The e-course provides a good introduction for anyone interested to learn more about the meaning and the value of official statistics and various types of data sources. It is also a good resource for members of National Statistical Offices (NSOs) and National Statistical Systems (NSSs), particularly, new comers and all those who want to refresh their knowledge of UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics (UN-FPOS) and learn more about good practices in the area of the organization of national statistical systems and statistical planning.
This course is self-paced, you can register anytime and complete the course before the end of the course.
This is an introductory level course aimed at the broad audience, including decision-makers and data producers from within and outside the National Statistical Offices.
Following the completion of the course, participants will be able to
- Identify official statistics from other data produced and describe UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and their implementation through legislative frameworks;
- Describe various quality dimensions of official statistics from a user perspective as well as organizational set-ups and coordination within and outside of National Statistical Systems;
- Distinguish data types and sources and apply internationally practiced models related to data production and statistical organization.
The overall objective of the introductory course is to raise awareness among the decision-makers about the value of official statistics by increasing knowledge about the fundamentals of official statistics, institutional set-up, coordination and communication around data ecosystems. It consists of 3 modules:
- Understanding UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics;
- Effective data governance systems for monitoring SDGs;
- Managing data-related partnerships, capabilities, resources and processes in the context of SDGs.
This is a non-facilitated online course organized in 3 modules. Each module includes:
- an interactive lesson,
- a manual in a pdf format,
- a glossary and abbreviations,
- built-in formative assessments,
- a summative assessment (multiple-choice test) at the end of the Module.
Decision-makers, data producers from within and outside the National Statistical Offices.
Upon registration for the course, you would receive an e-mail with instructions on how to enroll for the course. Should you not receive it within one hour after the successful registration, please kindly check your junk mail in case the e-mail with instructions went there or contact at a2030 [at] unitar.org.