CIFAL Jeju - o Rethinking the Role of Non-State Actors in Enabling the HDP Nexus Approach
The protracted crises resulting from climate change, COVID-19 pandemic, and violent conflict in fragile settings require comprehensive and holistic approaches for sustainable solutions. In this regard, the global community agreed to adopt the framework known as “Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus” in the World Humanitarian Summit 2016.
However, not only there are no sufficient studies on the role of key actors - government, international organizations, NGOs, etc. - within the context of the HDP Nexus, but these actors are frequently less aware of the framework itself. Therefore, the session will explore and discuss how to make the HDP Nexus approach work better with a special focus on the role of Non-State Actors including NGOs characterized by their autonomous and flexible approach to development challenges in a wide range of humanitarian crises.
*This session is organized in conjunction with Jeju Forum 2023 to be held on 31 May ~ 2 June.
- To help understand the complex challenges derived from the Humanitarian-Development-Peace nexus
- To provide a platform to share insights on how to make the HDP Nexus work better for sustainable development
- To discuss how the HDP Nexus as a strategy can be implemented in practice and how its outcome can be monitored and evaluated
Dr. Bernadia Irawati Tjandradewi, Secretary General of the United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC)
The HDP-N approach and its implementation in practice from the perspective of international organization
Steven Hamilton, Chief of Mission/IOM Republic of Korea
The HDP-N approach and its implementation in practice from the perspective of Good Neighbors International
Sun Kim, Senior Director of International Development Division/Good Neighbors International
Plenary Session including Q&A
Challenges and opportunities for making the HDP Nexus work better
Discussant 1: Dr. Taekyoon Kim, Professor of Graduate School of International Studies/Seoul National University
Discussant 2: Mingu Joung, Council Member of Culture, Tourism & Sports Committee/Jeju Special Self-Governing Provincial Council
- Presentation and discussion by experts
- plenary session including Q&A
- This session is open to those who are interested in the HDP nexus aligned with the SDGs, as well as Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (SDG16).