Knowledge to Lead
UNITAR Online Catalogue
Introduction to Sustainable Development in Practice
This introductory course teaches learners WHAT is an integrated approach to sustainable development and WHY is it needed. The course explains the rationale, drivers, challenges, and opportunities for an integrated approach to tackling poverty-environment issues. The course lays the foundations for an advanced course focused on HOW to apply the integrated approach in practice.
Why take this course?
After completing the introductory course, learners will be able to:
- Discuss the poverty and environment nexus and related concepts.
- Identify related international developments, as well as global and regional trends.
- Explain the rationale and drivers behind integrating policy planning.
- Identify challenges and opportunities for advancing an integrated approach.
- Give examples of enabling policy conditions for integrating poverty and environment issues.
Content and Structure
The course at a glance
1. Introducing the integrated approach
Module 1 provides an overview of the poverty and environment nexus and the rationale behind adopting an integrated approach to sustainable development.
2. Drivers of integration
Module 2 looks at the main drivers for adopting an integrated approach to sustainable development at the international, national and sub-national levels.
3. Challenges and opportunities
Module 3 explores challenges for adopting an integrated approach to sustainable development, as well as the opportunities presented by tackling poverty and environment issues simultaneously.
4. Applying the integrated approach
Module 4 focuses on the application of the integrated approach and development of an overarching strategic framework to enable the same.
The final wrap-up section of the course contain additional readings and the course final quiz.
Get your Certificate
After completing the course, you will get a certificate of completion. Once you complete all videos, lessons, and activities in each module, you will need to complete the final quiz at the end of the course before the certificate becomes automatically available for download.
You can keep track of your progress and download your certificate under the "Certification" tab on the main course page.