Leadership in the Public Sector: Basic Skills (February 2023)
This is a 2-month certified e-learning course that is self paced for you to manage your workload, as per your convenience.
The overall aim of the course is to strengthen the competences required by public sector leaders and public servants for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, to recognize the most important skills required for effective leadership, and to gain a comprehensive overview of the current and future challenges public leaders are facing.
Certificates, issued by the UN Assistant Secretary General, Executive Director of UNITAR, will be issued upon successful completion.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe different approaches to leadership
- Recognise the specific challenges facing public sector leaders
- Describe the potential benefits and costs of collaboration in the context of achieving development results
- Describe the role of public leaders in achieving the SDGs
- Identify the leadership skills necessary to manage future challenges.
- Unit 1: Introduction to Leadership
- Unit 2: Leadership in the Public Sector
- Unit 3: Today’s Challenges for Public Leaders
- Unit 4: Collaborative Leadership
- Unit 5: Leadership and the Agenda 2030
- Unit 6: Forecasting Future Global Trends and their Impact on Leadership
The course is based on UNITAR’s sound adult learning pedagogical principles. Each module includes interactive readings, self- assessment activities and quizzes. The learning activities are distributed in such a way to ensure the achievement of the learning objectives in a flexible manner.
The course is designed for emerging public-sector leaders, civil servants and managers from both developed and developing countries.
A certificate of completion will be issued to participants who achieve a course total of 70% or above. A certificate of participation will be issued to participants who achieve a final course score lesser than 70%.