The Human Rights-Based Approach to Disability (January 2023)
Local Development, International Law
Event Focal Point Email
Public – by registration
Mode of Delivery
Data Protection and Privacy
The overall objective of this course is to allow a better understanding of the human rights-based approach to disability and to enable participants to identify gaps between existing policy and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in order to implement it coherently.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the human rights-based approach to disability in contrast with previous approaches to disability;
- Explain the guiding principles of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- Describe the concept of discrimination on the basis of disability as enshrined in the CRPD;
- Describe the concept of inclusive development as enshrined in the CRPD
- Describe some of the cross-cutting rights contained in the CRPD;
- Identify policy built under previous approaches to disability that are not in line with the human rights-based approach to disability;
- Identify gaps in legislation with regard to the CRPD.
Module 1: What is (and what is not) disability?
Module 2: Introduction to the CRPD
Module 3: Discrimination and anti-discrimination in the CRPD
Module 4: Crosscutting and innovative provisions in the Convention
Certificate available upon successful completion of quiz with results above 75%.