Briefings New Delegates on the work of the 77th United Nations General Assembly
In mid-September, hundreds of diplomats attend the annual session of the United Nations General Assembly, the Organization’s main deliberative body.
A large proportion of them come from their respective capitals. Before taking up their assignments, new delegates in particular may benefit greatly from a concise and intensive learning exercise focused on the functions of the General Assembly. UNITAR’s General Briefing for new delegates, which attracts hundreds of participants annually, offers this opportunity.
In addition to the Briefing on the Work of the General Assembly, the course will provide panels on the work of all six main Committees of the General Assembly. The panels serve to familiarize delegates with the subject area discussed in each committee and to provide information on important achievements and resolutions from former sessions. Participants will also learn about the special dynamics and working methods of each committee.
To enable participants to:
· Describe the functions and powers of the General Assembly;
· Determine the role of the President of the General Assembly.
· Address its subsidiary organs and rules of procedure.
· Understand the role and mission of the General Assembly Secretariat.
- Analyse the 76th session of the General Assembly, its documents and resolutions.