Knowledge to Lead
UNITAR Online Catalogue
Prevention and Response to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Micro Course
This microlearning course provides the fundamental knowledge, skills, and tools for peacebuilders to prevent and address sexual and gender-based violence, following the principles set by the United Nations.
This course is part of the One UNITAR Gender initiative, which aims to empower more women around the world, especially in developing countries and least developed countries, to strengthen their leadership skills and feel empowered to apply and share their knowledge with others.
You can complete this mobile learning course in only 60 minutes. The course is easily accessible on a phone or tablet at your own pace. If the Internet is unstable, you can download lessons and learn offline. The course is published on the Educate All learning platform EdApp. Access is public and free of charge.
To register, go to the EdApp website and select "Self-enroll".
Objetivos del aprendizaje
After completing the course, you will be able to:
- Define Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) and key terms related to it and the different types that are present worldwide.
- Define Conflict-Related Sexual Violence (CSRV) and key terms related to it.
- Explain the causes and effects of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence with a view of identifying strategies to manage/address the various levels of impacts.
- Identify opportunities, approaches and methods to prevent and respond to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence.
Contenido y estructura
The course consists of the following sections:
Module 1: Welcome and context
- Lesson 1: Welcome
- Lesson 2: What to expect from this course
- Lesson 3: Tips for maximising your learning
Module 2: SGBV and related concepts
- Lesson 1: What is SGBV?
- Lesson 2: Types of SGBV
- Lesson 3: Perpetrators and survivors of SGBV
- Lesson 4: Drivers of SGBV
Module 3: Conflict-related sexual violence worldwide
- Lesson 1: Conflict-Related Sexual Violence
- Lesson 2: Perpetrators and survivors of CRSV
- Lesson 3: Causes of CRSV
- Lesson 4: Effects of CRSV
- Lesson 5: Levels of impact and strategies
Module 4: Approaches and strategies to prevent SGBV
- Lesson 1: Guiding principles
- Lesson 2: Levels of prevention
- Lesson 3: Individual level
- Lesson 4: Family level
- Lesson 5: Community level
- Lesson 6: Society level
- Lesson 7: Awareness and sensitisation
- Lesson 8: Prevention plan
Module 5: Approaches and strategies to respond to SGBV
- Lesson 1: Survivor-centred approach
- Lesson 2: Psychosocial support - halfway home or shelter for survivors
- Lesson 3: Integrated/Holistic Approach
- Lesson 4: Call to action and conclusion
This course is self-guided, self-paced and follows a microlearning training approach, focusing on delivering information in small learning units. Lessons contain interactive activities, mini case studies to apply what you have learned, self-reflection questions and inspiring examples. This course does not have a learning assessment; therefore, no certificate of completion will be issued.
The course is designed for anyone interested in obtaining knowledge and tools to prevent and respond to sexual and gender-based violence. This includes a wide range of leaders for Peace of all levels of experience, especially women peacebuilders, as well as community leaders looking to enhance their ability to support the communities they work with.
This course is delivered through the EdApp platform. To register, go to the EdApp website and select "Self-enroll".
EdApp is available on both iOS and Android devices. This includes: iPhone 6, 6 Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, 11, 12 Plus; iPad Air 2, iPad Air 3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4, iPad (2017), iPad (2018), iPad (2019) with iOS version 10 and above. EdApp is supported on Android devices with 500 MB of free space, running Android version 7 and above, with a recommended CPU>2.5Ghz, and RAM>2GB for optimal performance.
EdApp is also supported on Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari on desktop. On mobile, it's supported on Safari and Chrome.